202 - Fragrance & Mica: Beauty's Ugly Side
In this episode, we uncover two troubling issues in the beauty industry - the fragrance loophole and unethical mica sourcing.
The Fragrance Loophole
- Fragrance/parfum listings allow brands to hide hundreds of synthetic chemicals like phthalates, allergens, and even toxins.
- This loophole exempts fragrances from full disclosure for "trade secret" reasons.
- But it prevents consumers from knowing what they are really exposed to and causes rising rates of fragrance sensitivities.
- Look for products transparently labeled as "fragrance free" or brands that voluntarily disclose all fragrance ingredients. Essential oils are also a good option when the full breakdown is provided.
Unethical Mica Sourcing
- About 60% of the world's mica comes from illegal mines in India using child labor.
- Children as young as 5 work in dangerous conditions for less than $2 a day.
- Major brands still don't have full traceability over their mica supply chains.
- Consumers should support responsibly sourced mica from audited suppliers and regulated locations.
- Loopholes in Beauty Ingredient Labeling by Lindsay Dahl
- Link to Beautycounter's Documentary: Beauty Comes Clean: Mica
Want to email a company to ask them about their mica sourcing practices? Click here & I will send you a suggested script!
Let me know if you have any other topics you'd like covered related to safe, ethical beauty and cosmetics!
Follow our host, Jessica Brennan at:
Podcast Link: www.cleanlivingmadeeasypodcast.com
Free Label Reading Guide: www.freelabelreadingguide.com
Force of Nature System: www.cleanproductjunkie.com/forceofnature
Leaf Razor: www.bit.ly/leafrazor - use coupon code CLEANPRODUCTJUNKIE for 10% off
5 Day Detox - One Week to a Healthier Home Program (For $20 off, Use code 20OFF!) - https://www.cleanproductjunkie.com/offers/FmBf5FfM?